If you are currently in the process of remodelling or re-decorating your home, one thing is true: lighting matters. After all, you can add as many trendy pieces of furniture as you would like and add the flooring of your dreams, but if you do not have the proper lighting system in place, it will all be in vain.
We’ll say it again — if you are currently in the process of trying to make a room cozier or more liveable, you cannot underestimate the importance of quality lighting. In this article, we will share some best practices to take into consideration when choosing the best lighting for your home.
General Lighting Best Practices
Incorporate Accent Lighting, Ambient Lighting, Task Lighting
Before we get into any specific recommendations, it’s worth noting that there are three popular types of lighting, aside from general, overhead lighting. These are task lighting (lighting that complements your lifestyle), accent lighting (lighting that highlights focal points), and ambient lighting (lighting that sets a room’s mood, or ambience).
Most likely, you will use all three of these lighting types in any given room. What this looks like exactly, though, might depend on your individual needs and the way that you use a room.
Take the kitchen for example. In this room, you will likely have general lighting in the form of a ceiling lamp, but you will most likely also have at least one type of task light, such as lighting above the cabinets or inside the drawers.
Pay Attention to Shades
If you are using a light that comes with a kind of lampshade, pay attention to the colour of the shade. Cooler tones, such as white or light blue will allow for clear light to shine through, while warmer hues like yellow or brown will create a more subdued light.
Take Advantage of Natural Light
Assuming that your room has at least one window, one of the easiest and least expensive things that you can do is ensure that your window panes are kept clean and free from cloudiness both internally and externally. This allows the highest possible amount of natural light to brighten up your room.
Living Room Lighting Best Practices
Your living room may just be the area of your home that sees the most congregations. As such, you will want to make sure that it is well-lit to allow for maximum socializing potential. You can do this by:
- Outfitting your lighting set-ups with a dimmer, so you can adjust to the room
- Consider a light that hangs from the ceiling if you have a small space that doesn’t allow for tabletop lighting solutions
- Pay attention to small nooks and crannies that may be easily forgotten and left dark
- Consider incorporating a stylish light into your room as a focal piece
Kitchen Lighting Best Practices
We touched on it earlier — in the kitchen, task lighting is key. Here are some other ideas to keep in mind to brighten up that important kitchen space:
- Hang lights over areas where you eat, such as island counters or dining tables
- Never stop looking for creative ways to add task lighting, such as under and above cabinets, inside drawers, and at the bottom of counters
Bedroom Lighting Best Practices
Even if you do not spend a lot of time in it, do not underestimate the power of lighting in your bedroom!
- Focus on creating a calm space for winding down with soft lights with warm lampshades
- Consider a unique form of ambient lighting for a touch of character, such as string lights
- Put task lighting in areas where lighting is important, such as within closets
Electrical Services in Vancouver
With more than three decades of experience, BPM Electric is proud to provide both commercial and residential electrician services across Vancouver and surrounding communities. Whether you are dealing with an upgrade, renovation, or repair, our licensed electricians are happy to help. Get in touch today!